Thread: How to comb a batt?

How to comb a batt?

I have a big bundle of merino fiber, very fluffy, that is sort of more a batt. I want it to be lined up like roving, can anyone tell me how to go about this? I want to make a ruffle scarf from the fiber so it would be better combed like roving comes. This was given to me by a friend so I don't know anything about it except that it is merino.

thanks for any suggestions.

- Nancy

Blog Entries
    How to comb a batt?
    Hello Nancy - have a look at this very good youtube video that shows how to turn a batt into roving.

What you need to do is pull it through a diz. Now don't worry about getting one of those as I use a small filter funnel!! Get a crochet hook and pull a bit through then just keep pulling stuff through - it will never be like a combed top but stuff will line up a bit more. You can also use a button, bit of coconut sheel with a hole drilled through but I found a small funnel to be OK.

Hope that helps,

Ann

Thanks for your replies! My "batt" is less dense, and pulls apart more easily than the one in the video in the first reply. I will try pulling it through the filter funnel as I have a perfect one to try, and post my results here.

thanks again,

Nancy