Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruffle scarf - looking for suggestions & advices

Ruffle scarf - looking for suggestions & advices

I am rather new to wet felting in general so I really lack significant experience. But I know that can't be forced and takes time to practice.

My current Holy Grail of wet felting is a ruffled scarf.

I have seen similar scarfs like this one - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cheenara/4 ... 7/sizes/l/" target="_blank and that was all that was needed. I fell desperately in love.

I know it would be easier to buy myself one - but being a crafts person for long period of time - I know the full satisfaction will come only if I learn to make something similar myself. Then I will be pleased both with the scarf and new skills learned. (One of those little non-material pleasures that feed the soul. )

I tried to make a scarf using nuno felting and I wasn't able to get nice rich ruffles. Of course, I had this little trick - I have used all kinds of support while drying my scarf so now while dry it seems like it has some kind of ruffles but I know these ruffles would go away as soon as I would wet my scarf.

I don't know, maybe all ruffled scarfs are that way and I live in an illusion they are not but still I can't help myself believing there is a way to making reliable and permanent ruffles.

At this point I am pretty much sure the layers should preferably be thinner. And I am pretty much sure that orientation of the fibers is the key.

So at this point I am desperate to hear all suggestions and advices you might have to offer. And I will be most grateful.

So, my main question for you is - What do you do to get nice rich reliable ruffles?

...my blog @ ignis.blog.hr...
    ...my Facebook webpage @ facebook.com - Ignis art...
    ...my Deviantart gallery @ ignisburns.deviantart.com...

Re: Ruffle scarf - looking for suggestions & advices

I hope the answer I gave you in the new member section will help. If you don't understand something from that thread, just ask away.

Thank you Ruth, you were very kind to point me to the right topic!

I will ask one more question, but for that I will have to make a drawing first. That I will do tomorrow!

Ruth, here goes my question...

The scarf I would like to make would have round edges. In order to get ruffles at the round end of the scarf should I place my fibers like in the following drawing, or should I place them somewhat differently?

Also would you say that placing a slightly thicker layer of wool fibers in the middle area of the scarf (lengthwise) would cause that part to shrink more thus producing richer ruffled edges? Also would you say that rubbing the scarf more in that middle area of the scarf (during the fulling phase) would also help produce richer ruffles?

Thank you for your help!

The layout seems perfect!

The thinner a layer you make the more it shrinks, so for the center lay out a superthin layer, hardly overlapping and for the ruffle little more overlap and all just in one direction. Try not to make it too thick.

Good luck

Thank you for your advice. I'll do my experiment just the way you suggested.

I agree the middle only going along the length and out edge going the opposite way should give you the effect you are looking for. Can't wait to see it.

So, here I am again!

I had the chance to do some felting and I did a small ruffled scarf! And the result is even better then I hoped to get!

The scarf has nice rich ruffles and I already wrote about how in love I am with ruffles! So, at the end I have to say I love my new scarf! And I love the fact that I now have a brand new skill added to my skill arsenal!
    (I will not go into my all of the emotions after I've made my scarf since this post would get rather long! )

Here is the thumbnail picture of the scarf:

The next scarf will be black and I'll be wearing it on the daily basis!

Thank you once more for your support and help!

It looks great! I hope you'll show us the black one too.

Thank you Ruth!

I will be posting the black one as soon as I make it!

Btw. does anyone have experience with the airy scarf that looks like web? For instance like this one - http://ny-image0.etsy.com//il_fullxfull.98766380.jpg

I assume the point to get this kind of a scarf is to lay a very thin layer of wool fibers only in one direction? Or am I wrong?

That is called cobweb felting. It is made with a very thin layer of wool and the holes are intentional. You do need a very thin layer and this one looks like it was done in all one direction.

Thank you Ruth!

Tell me please, do you think a special kind of wool is needed for this technique? I noticed a lot of these pieces seem to have curly wool fibers (mohair?)? Can it be equally well done with regular wool fibers?

I haven't done a lot of cobweb felting but I think the finer fibers that felt easily would be better to use than a coarser fiber that is harder to felt. You also need to consider that if you're making something wearable that the coarser fibers are itchy on people's skin. I would try merino if you have some because that should felt easily.

The shiny bits that look curly in the picture I think are silk roving. It looks curly because the wool shrinks more than the silk.
    Ann

Thank you for your help and suggestions!

I really like this web effect and I would love to make something similar. I love the airiness of such felt pieces!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast