Thread: Shibori Felting Technique - Colorful "Craters"

Shibori Felting Technique - Colorful "Craters"

Ok, so you gotta see how weird this shawl is. I think it is so artys-fartsy. It was definitely a unique experience making this scarf, it did some things that I wasn't expecting. Like when the circles felted they popped out after the fulling and my husband said that they looked like nipples, so I turned them into craters instead. So I guess I wasn't planning on doing the shibori felting technique but I did (at least I think what I did might full under shibori). I don't know anyway here is it the weirdest scarf I have ever made!

Again I am being lazy and not uploading pics: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1053666...ap-nuno-felted

Enjoy the weird!

Kate

Kate, your shawl is totally cool!! I really like the "back" of your shawl too!
    Marie

Love it! Actually it's reversible because both sides are wonderful. Had a giggle at the nipple thing!

I love it! Both sides are totally different, depending on your mood.

Fabulous!!! how did you keep your circles so neat, did you make them before you put them on the silk?

Momo, no I didn't felt them before, I laid them out on the silk and then wetted them down, covered them with nylon and felted them like that. Sure the nylon kinda felted into the circles, and I had to be super careful when I pulled it up, but it worked well, even though it took forever!

I love your scarf! How did you get the craters? I have been wanting to try that for a while now.
    Wooly Worms Shop
    http://woolywormsshop.etsy.com

Ariana Bauer Digital Art and Photography
    http://www.arianabauer.com

That is sooooo cool! Isn't that half the fun of felting, this stuff has a mind of its own!

Wonderful colors and outrageously cool!
    My site about felting FeltingLessons.com
    My eBook - Nuno Felting Start to Finish

So here's a little update: I sold this scarf yesterday and while it was in my shop it was always the most viewed item each day. SO my question is, do I make another like it, different colors and such, or do I let it stand as a one and only. I feel like if I were to reproduce it in a different color scheme I would be lessening its uniqueness. But on the other hand it was such a popular item I wonder if a similar scarf would be too and bring my shop lots of views... So there it is, what should I do?

If you didn't advertise it as 'unique' or 'one-off' then you are entitled to replicate it as many times as you wish. And if it draws customers to your shop and it's a 'seller', then what are you waiting for?
    It's a beautiful design.
    Last edited by lyn; 08-09-2012 at 09:22 AM.

I agree with Lyn
    Joey

The scarf looks great on both sides. Why not make another, it's not like it's mass production. Go for it while the going's good!

I don't know where this sparkly sheep avatar has come from. However, I may keep it!