Thread: Nuno felting a hat.

Nuno felting a hat.

I have been experimenting with wet felting hats and have searched high and low for a tutorial on nuno felting a hat- does anyone have information on how to do it, all I have seen are nuno felting flat pieces. I bought Terri's book which great for the basics on flat nuno felting ( love it) but would like something like it on hats...

Couple of ideas:

Either you could make a flat piece of nuno felt then cut and sew yourself a hat (i.e. use the nuno felt as 'yardage')

Or, just add fabric to your top layer of wool when you make your hat - it doesn't have to be a complete covering - it can be interesting to just have fabric here and there.
    If I were making a hat over a resist, I would choose a fabric that nuno felts easily i.e. a loose weave.

Thanks Lyn! By the way I love your tutorials, I refer to them again and again. I was hoping to use a large piece of silk as a base so the hat was strong but light. I have only felted hats on a resist but I looked at Katie's hat tutorial and I hadn't considered doing a flat piece of felt and molding it onto a head block, maybe I could do it with a nuno piece like that...I want to avoid a seam.

Quote Originally Posted by lyn View Post
    Couple of ideas:

Either you could make a flat piece of nuno felt then cut and sew yourself a hat (i.e. use the nuno felt as 'yardage')

Or, just add fabric to your top layer of wool when you make your hat - it doesn't have to be a complete covering - it can be interesting to just have fabric here and there.
    If I were making a hat over a resist, I would choose a fabric that nuno felts easily i.e. a loose weave.

I live in a small fishing town on the coast of south Australia
    It works quite well just adding the fabric on top of the wool payed around a resist. I have used a sander to secure the fabric then you can work the piece as usual without the fabric falling off. Does anyone have any reliable hat shape patterns they are willing to share. Mine are a bit hit and miss. I was watching Harry Potter again the other night and thought one of their witches hats would be fun to make