Thread: Meet and Greet Lori

Meet and Greet Lori

Meet and Greet Lori
    Meet and Greet Lori

A LITTLE BACKGROUND FROM LORI

My name is Lori Flood and I have a textile studio in Morgantown, West Virginia. I have been making felt creations for about 7 years and was handspinning my own yarns, weaving, and knitting for many years before learning the craft of felt making. My husband, Mark, and daughter, Amanda, also help in the felt and fiber business endeavors. I work mostly with wet felting techniques but also incorporate some needle felting techniques in my creations.

My fascination with felting is in the way a seamless and multi-dimensional garment can be created that is free from the constraints of the weave or knit stitch. The colors and designs are also created with less restriction than that of other textile methods and can be added to the felt almost like paint is brushed on a canvas. This freedom to sculpt and paint allows almost limitless opportunity to create beautiful treasures from this natural and historical media.

I have always enjoyed the liveliness of wool fibers and utility of wool textiles. Environmentally, wool is a renewable resource, and when tossed aside, is 100% bio-degradable! Wool is naturally flame resistant and will keep it's wearer warm even when it is wet.

I left my full time job in scientific research in the spring of 2004 to work full time as a felt artist. I sell sell fibers for felting and supplies. I also sell my work to galleries, at retail shows, and from this website. I also teach workshops across the country and demonstrate felting to school children, groups, and at public events.

WE WILL ASK LORI SOME STARTER QUESTIONS, AND ENCOURAGE YOU TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE OPPORTUNITY WE HAVE IN HAVING HER JOIN US BY POSTING YOURS AS WELL!
    Marie Spaulding

Welcome Lori - Do you mainly make wearables or is your emphasis on something else? The jacket you are wearing in the photo is beautiful.

mostly wearables?

My production work is mostly wearables but I am moving away from that a bit right now. I am really interested in home decor felt right now and I am having a great time playing!
    Lori Flood
    Handmade Felt, Instruction, Fiber and Supplies
    www.spinsterstreadle.com
    Walla Walla, Washington
    509 520-5460

Welcome, Lori

So glad to see you on the Forum, Lori. I always enjoy your intelligent and humorous input in the felting list!

Will you be giving us a challenge, such as Suzanne did?

Happy, Happy Easter!

hugs, Lainy

challenge

We had talked about doing a challenge but I forgot about it at the first of the month. Hmmmmmnnnn.......It's getting a little late in the month but I will think on it. I just got back to the east coast this morning about 2:00 am so I will need to clear my head of jet lag first!
    Lori Flood
    Handmade Felt, Instruction, Fiber and Supplies
    www.spinsterstreadle.com
    Walla Walla, Washington
    509 520-5460

Welcome Lori!

I've seen your work at SAFF in Asheville, NC. Your work is beutiful. I would love to learn to felt scarves like you. They look so delicate.

Tammy

hello!!! welcome...off to read what you wrote about felt making